Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Asking God's Forgiveness in the Digital Age

The moment I saw the headline I knew that I would have to write a commentary on it.  "Catholic Church Approves Confession App". The article in the Washington Post was brief but upon further investigation I discovered that the app in question was seemingly harmless, seemingly. There are two real harms taking place here and while one is considerably worse than the other I am not sure that I could ever approve or either.

The Iphone application in question costs a reasonable $1.99. It was developed by a private firm in Indiana and given the imprimateur by a bishop to make it officially allowed to be used by Roman Catholics. The purpose of the application is to serve as a tool whereby the user can have a thorough examination of conscience before entering the confessional. On the surface it appears to be harmless but a question arises when we begin to discuss the theological implications involved (darn those theologians) and spiritual health and development of those using it.

In full disclosure I am not Roman Catholic. For the first 30 years of my life I was a participating member in full communion with Rome. However, my views on issues of authority and collegiality, as well as a persistent call to fulfill my vocation as a priest led away from the Rome to the Episcopal Church. If the Episcopal Church were to endorse this app I would denounce that with the same veracity as I do at this time.

Growing up there was always a disconnect between the theology of the sacrament of reconciliation and its practice. I learned about the importance of going to confession regularly. I agreed with that  and I still do. I feel that just as we go to the doctor for our physical health that we should seek out a spiritual physician regarding the health of our soul. Ideally I would be able to speak to someone who has experienced sin in their own lives, dealt with sin in a community setting and could offer me guidance on how to deepen my prayer life.  Unfortunately, the reality of most confessional experiences I have had, and I fear many others as well, is the 3 minute "please list your sins, followed by an absolution". I am not  implying that every priest or every penitent has this experience. But with fewer priests to offer the sacrament, and still a healthy number of people going to confession, the constraints of time are being felt. Also, priests are finding many penitents that are wholly unprepared to receive the sacrament and have to be talked through its basics. This is where the Iphone application comes in. It provides the examination of conscience and a way to gain insight as to how our spiritual life with God has been developing since we last checked. What pains me is that this application could become a crutch whereby people lean on it and resort to giving a list of their offenses rather than delving deeper into the roots of their sinfulness. It is when we are able to understand how our sins affect others, ourselves, and our relationship with God that we gain insight into the covenantal nature of God's love. Sin becomes less about the breaking of a law and more about realizing our place in God's creation and how we are called to love and virtue.

I agree that the Roman Catholic Church is not promoting this as a replacement to the sacrament. But promoting it as an official tool only propagates the archaic notions that have taught about the proper way to seek forgiveness. I'll openly state that while I am still learning about the practice of seeking forgiveness in my new home the Episcopal Church I am finding that it is not perfect either. But I contend that the theology of presenting oneself before God in prayer and trusting in his forgiveness is a viable option. However, I also feel that it is but one "tool in the toolbox" and not the only one. Community repentance and face to face confession should also be employed when necessary.

While my qualm with the Iphone application was theological, the second is ethical. In learning how this app was developed I came to learn that it was through the private sector. My question is if individuals should be charged for materials such as these that directly inform and educate their spiritual development. Couldn't the Church have developed this application on their own and provided it free of charge to every person who wanted this in their toolbox? This demonstrates clearly how the Church, and many other religious organizations, will always remain one step behind the technology of the times.

At the end of the day I have found that seeking forgiveness for one's sins can be a humbling, difficult, and sorrowful process. While it is essential that we have tools that helps us along the way, it is even more vital that we depend on the men (and women if you are Episcopalian), who have been trained to be our spiritual advisors. In the future if I am fortunate enough to be ordained I won't mind if a penitent comes to me with their Iphone in hand discussing their examination of conscience. After they have finished I will ask them to close the app and speak from the heart as to what has brought them forward to seek forgiveness and what God is placing on their hearts now about his love and the mercy he has extended to everyone through the death of his only son Jesus Christ. I guarantee you there isn't an app for that.

1 comment:

  1. You have some interesting points Alex. I wonder though, how this app is any less ethical than a booklet that I would use to help me with my examination of conscience. How do you think that this app is different, aside from the fact that is a high tech tool? I admit, I have not tested this app. I believe that the problem with any crutch is that we as humans tend to get lazy, therefore, anything we use can become an avenue to convenience rather a way to go deeper spiritually.
    With regards to the church developing such tools and allowing them to be used without charge is an interesting point. I think it will be a long time coming before mainstream churches and the Catholic church invests heavily time or talents in this area of technology-I hope I am wrong. I hope to see it happen one day! But maybe the secular professional world is what may provoke it?
    I do agree with your point that as spiritual leaders, in any faith community, one has a responsiblity to help others learn to go to the root of thier longings, their weaknesses, their thirst to fill what may be missing in their lives and to help them find that there is a merciful God who has been and is searching for them.
    Thank you for this reflection...these questions do need to be asked!

    ReplyDelete