Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My Son, the Episcopalian

There are proud days that every parent celebrates in the life of their children. It begins with their birth. Then it continues with the countless firsts that they you are blessed to witness. It might be a first tooth, a first crawl or a first step. It can also be their first fever, the first vaccination or the first time they fall flat on their face trying to crawl or walk. As a parent I have felt blessed to be there for so many of my children's firsts.

This week wasn't just a first for my youngest son Gregory. It was a first for our family. My son Gregory was baptized into the Episcopal Church. This was momentous for two reasons. The first is that by being baptized Gregory is now a part of God's family and His church community. Now he will be raised in the tenets of faith that we Christians hold dear. Now he has been given a clean slate from sin and the chance to grow in the friendship of God. The second reason this was momentous is that it symbolizes our commitment to the Episcopal Church as a family. Both my son Samuel and I were baptized Roman Catholics. My wife Roxanne was baptized in a non-denominational Christian community.

But in the last year our faith community has changed. I left the tradition under which I had been raised my whole life. I left for reasons of conscience and faith. I left for reasons of vocation and the call I feel I have received from God to serve Him as a priest. By baptizing my son in the Episcopal Church I am vowing to raise him in that tradition. I make that vow as a man who is hoping to bring others to Christ through this Church.

I have always been a firm believer that the baptism of a child is not just the for the child. It is a unique challenge for the entire family and faith community. If I as a parent do not raise my son in the faith of Christ then I will be held liable before God for the job I should have done. The same goes with the rest of my family and the faith community we have chosen. We are all accountable. This accountability shouldn't be seen simply as an obligation but as an opportunity; an opportunity for holiness.

In two weeks I will be received into the Episcopal Church and in that moment I will begin in earnest my journey towards the priesthood (if God wills it). My family and my faith community will support me throughout my journey and my discernment process will be a call to holiness for me and those around me. I am counting the days and hours. I am praying hard that I will be a good father and one day hopefully a good Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment