Saturday, February 6, 2010

My First Farewell

Today I was blessed to be able to assist my pastor in conducting a memorial service for an older parishioner who had died. I had never helped perform a memorial service and had only been to a handful of funerals. I had no idea what to expect. What I received was a blessed experience that helped me see what it means for people to appreciate and celebrate the life a person they loved who has gone to be with Christ.

Though there were several people present it didn't matter the number. What mattered was the sentiment they shared in their remarks about how that person, through their Christian example, was able to help them grow as Christians in their love of God and service to Christ. My pastor commented that this was the best comment of her life that we could make.

It made me immediately think of my life and the life of those close to me. I thought of my mother, without whom my vocation to the priesthood would never have occurred to me. I thought of my father and how he has hardened his heart over the years to God's love. It made me think of my own life, the long path I have ahead of me. It made me think of what I wanted people to think of me. I used to worry about being remembered as wealthy or famous or even "a good person". But really, I just want Christ to remember me when my time comes. If people do remember me, then I want it to be as someone of faith who truly loved everyone he met. As you can see, I have lots of work to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment