Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Harvest Is Plentiful



As part of my duties as chaplain at the Episcopal where I work I have been given the wonderful opportunity to guest lecture in several classes. I admit that I don't have the same knowledge of science that a science teacher would possess but that I am still able to offer a specific set of insights into the ethical and moral issues that science faces on a daily basis. I have always been a fan of the arts, humanities, history, and English, so being able to speak about faith, the history of Christianity, the literary tools of the scriptures and many other topics is enriching for me. I can only hope that it is enriching for the students subjected to my lessons!

Today was particularly interesting because I was given the task of discussing 1st century Christianity in Rome. In essence I was being asked to discuss the origins of Christianity, who this person known as Jesus was and what effect if any he has had on the world. I began by discussing some of the more factual aspects of their previous lessons as learned from the textbook. Once we had a background knowledge I was able to discuss the theological aspects that were not found in the book and to expound a little on what it might have meant for a first century Jew or follower of Jesus to hear and process these events.

What I received in return completely floored me. Of course there were some students who had no interest in what I was saying and were more intent on being disruptive than contributing to the conversation. Others however had insightful questions that demonstrated their ability to critically think through the issues of what it means to be Christian both for those who have gone before us and those of us who are believers today. They asked questions like "why would someone lay down their life for this belief?". They also asked "What appealed to the apostles that they were willing to leave everything they knew and follow Jesus?". Any person who works in ministry longs to hear these questions. They are the questions of someone who has opened their hearts and minds to the possibility of seeing the world in a new way. It means that they are open to accepting Jesus Christ.

The only thing that saddened me was that many of these students had little or no knowledge of who Jesus was or what he taught. They had the vague notions of "the Good Shepherd", or the "the Savior", but they were abstract concepts not ones that they could take to heart. The discussion culminated when I described the relationship we are called to have with God as a covenant, a marriage of hearts, and not just an obligation that we fulfill. They had no context in which to understand this love. If they had, they certainly weren't able to access it.

Today's lesson gave me hope as well as worried me. As Jesus said, the harvest is plentiful. The number of people who are truly ready to hear the Good News of the Gospels is many. But how many of us are willing to accept the role of harvester? How many of us in our daily lives are ready and open enough to share our faith with those who need it more than they need the air around them to breathe? The challenge in the future will be finding hands that are ready to drop everything and work. My question to all of us is thus: "What are you holding in your hands that you are not willing to let go of for Christ?"

No comments:

Post a Comment