Monday, November 15, 2010

It Won't Be Easy

On Sunday our priest delivered a great sermon on one of most confusing pieces of scripture that I have ever read. It is the Gospel reading in Luke where the disciples marvel at the splendor of the temple and Jesus tells them that one day "not one stone will be left on another". The disciples of course were shocked about this they kept asking how this was going to happen. Jesus used this as an opportunity to help them see that following Him, taking up their cross was not going to be easy. In fact, it could probably cost them their lives. This isn't exactly what they wanted to hear but it was the truth. As Christians today I wonder if we hear this message enough. Or rather do we cling to the feelings of joy and completeness that our union with God can bring and ignore the great responsibility we have as evangelizers and servants?

One of the roles of a Christian that has been on my heart the most lately has been that of evangelizer. There are couple of people who I am trying to serve by introducing them to Christ and helping them understand who he was and what role he can have in their life. But I also feel awkward in that I am not always telling them how hard it can be to be Christian. Do we sometimes lead with the best and then tell them the rest later? I think that first we have to tell people who Christ is and what he has done for us. After that we must demonstrate, not just tell them, how hard it can be to live the Christian life. With the people I am serving now I want them to see my struggles, not just my successes. I want them to see the great things that God has done through me even though I am sinful and unworthy of his love. I hope that in seeing that they will see that while the Christian life can be arduous that it is ultimately fulfilling because it is how we grow closer to God. In essence we realize that Christ has made the way for us, had paid the price for us, and calls us back to the Father who longs only to love us.

Whether or not the people I evangelize to will see that I do not know. I can only hope that the Holy Spirit will always be present in what I say and what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment